Saturday, November 22, 2008

LETS FACE IT ... I'M NOTHING LIKE MY MOTHER!

Grace has been sick for the last two days. *blek* I hate it when one of my little ones is sick ... especially pitiful Grace. Unfortunately, she is built like me. I get sick (the flu & sinus infections) about twice a year. Sean, however, is built like his daddy. He rarely gets sick. Maybe once every 3 years. Of course, there was this one year, when the kids were little, that all 4 of us were sick at the same time ... and we only had 1 bathroom. It was aweful.

I try to be like my mom ... I really do. She is an awesome mom. She always loved on me when I was feeling down, disciplined me when I needed it, and came to my rescue even as an adult. But when it came to being sick, she wasn't the best. She always told me: I'll give you 24 hours of sympathy. After that, you are on your own. So I've tried to do better than that. I've tried to strive for that 25 hour mark. NO LUCK. After about 8 hours of constantly throwing up (she literally threw up over 20 times ... I lost count after 21 trips to the trash can), I had had enough. She was whiny and jirating all over the place, making me think she was going to throw up every 10 seconds. She slept during the day and was wide awake during the night! She threw up all over the couch & the floor & I was none too happy with her. I tried to be sweet, but I had just asked her if she was going to throw up and she said, "I don't know". I shoulda known that meant it was coming as soon as I sat down. It always does! I didn't last too long. I held her hair back when she puked; I followed her to the potty every 30 minutes and held a bucket under her chin, just in case; I forbid her from eating pizza, PB&J sammies, Dr. Pepper (which she never gets anyways, but thought since she was sick, she'd still ask and hope for the best) and drinking milk. I did the best that I could. But my mom always took care of me. ALWAYS. Come to think of it, she usually lasted over the 24 hours mark. Me? Not so much...but I tried.

I'm a lot like my mom in so many ways ... but when it comes to being sympathatic to ones plight of sickness, I'm built like my dad. He runs for the hills and hollers across the house, "ARE YOU DONE YET?" Yep, that's me! I asked Grace, "when Mommy gets sick, are you going to take care of me like I took care of you" and her response, "maybe. we'll see. I'll feed you though".

1 comment:

Rachel Cox said...

oh no Meg! Bless your HEART! Wow.... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it past the first throw up. I DO NOT do good with throwing up... Not with myself or anyone else! Just about nothing worse in my opinion...

And I completely hear you! My mom, who always scored the lowest on mercy for any spiritual gifts test, was wonderful any time I was sick. She would always get me 7 up (it was the only liquid I could ever keep down) make sure I was comfortable, got me movies...etc. She was GREAT. I hope I am that way, but I'm not with Derek, so it does make me wonder!

Ha!

2 MORE WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!